The Pentair UltraTemp Heat Pump is a high performance pool heater with the distinction of being the first pool heat pump charged with a non-ozone depleting refrigerant (R410A).
To purchase a Pentair Heat Pump from Pool Supply World – Click Here.
The UltraTemp heat pump range includes models ranging from 75 – 140k BTU/hr two of which feature the option to reverse the system to cool the pool. Heat pumps are environmentally friendly as they are very efficient, do not create any emissions and this one is even environmentally friendly at the end of its working life. To see the UltraTemp product brochure – Click Here.
Unusually you have a choice of color (Black or Almond) for the casing, which is a nice touch but not a major factor in deciding to buy one. Some of the features of this Pentair Heat Pump that are more interesting are:
- Titanium heat exchanger to resist corrosion and ensure long life.
- Scroll compressor which has fewer moving parts and increases efficiency and reliability.
- Thermostatic expansion valve controls the refrigerant flow to maintain optimum efficiency over a wider temperature range.
- Automatic defrost feature which allows the heat pump to operate at lower temperatures than would otherwise be the case.
- Long life plastic cabinet which is resistant to corrosion, pool chemicals and the weather.
- Easy to use LCD control panel so you know exactly what is going on.
- Performance certified by AHRI (Air-Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration Institute).
- Very high efficiency – The COP (Coefficient of Performance) varies slightly but the base model has a rating of 5.8*.
- Digital controls with dual thermostats offer precise temperature control for pool/spa combinations.
* This means that for the heat pump outputs 5.8 units of energy (heat) for every one unit (electricity) consumed. This is because it is not using the electricity to generate heat but to transfer it from the surrounding air to the pool water. The COP will vary depending on the air temperature and water temperature here it is based on 80 degrees for both.
Of course we have to accept that a heat pump costs considerably more than a gas heater (which would also be more powerful) and that the performance of a heat pump drops when the air temperature gets colder. However, unless you only heat your pool occasionally the low running costs and environmental credentials of a heat pump cannot be ignored.
If you are looking for a heat pump this Pentair Heat Pump has much to commend it. It is designed for reliability and long life and its key selling point is its high efficiency. It has a limited lifetime warranty on the heat exchanger and a 10 year warranty on the compressor. Reviews seem to be in the 4/5 star range.
Our recommended supplier is Pool Supply World who offer good prices which include shipping (which is an extra with many other suppliers) together with good service.
CLICK HERE to see their prices.
Other Pentair Pool Heaters.