AquaCal have been producing heat pumps since 1981 and the HeatWave SuperQuiet range is a series of powerful heat pumps aimed at the residential market and smaller sized commercial pools and spas. As the name suggests their unique selling point is that they are designed to be quiet in operation. For 2017 they revised the model range and changed the cabinet design but there have been no changes since.
Click Here to see the range at Pool Supply World.
There are three standard 60 hz models SQ125, SQ145 and SQ225 plus two “Icebreaker” models SQ120R and SQ166R.
- At 80/80/80 (Water Temperature/Air Temperature/Humidity) these range between 101 – 143k BTU and offer a COP of between 5.5 and 6.8.
- The “Icebreaker” models feature cooling as well as heating and will operate at temperates down to the mid twenties Farenheit.
(there are also 50hz versions available which are slightly less powerful)
Click Here to see the product brochure.
The above all operate on a single phase supply and all but the SQ125 can also support a three phase supply.
The other unusual feature of these heat pumps is the titanium heat exchanger with the titanium tubing having a lifetime guarantee. The warranty on these heaters is good but the period that the compressor is covered depends on where you live – Click Here for more information.
- Titanium Heat Exchanger – failure of the heat exchanger is a common cause of heat pump failures. Unlike more common cupronickel units the heat exchangers on these AquaCal heat pumps are not affected by the pool water chemistry and carry a limited lifetime warranty.
- Scroll Compressor – unique fan blade and scroll compressor technology means ultra quiet operation. It should also ensure reliability and durability.
- Digital Controls – easy to use controls feature large display and water resistant keypad. The units also feature dual thermostats to control pool and spa separately. There are also on-board diagnostics and a microprocessor controlled defrost cycle. The keypad can be locked to prevent any tampering with the settings.
- Corrosion Proof Cabinet – cabinet is rust proof, fade proof and crack resistant.
- Off-Set Plumbing – which makes for easy installation.
- Environmentally Friendly – uses green R410A refrigerant.
- Operates At low Temperatures – operates at lower temperatues than other heat pumps.
AquaCal claim to be the largest manufacturer of heat pumps in the world so they obviously know what they are doing. Looking online there are surprisingly few reviews of these pool heat pumps but those that there are, are mostly positive and all seem to agree that these units are quiet with several noting that the pool pump makes more noise.